Jeremy Dueck Photography Inc.

Jeremy Dueck Photography - review albums, slide shows and proofs from your day

Wednesday

Time of Healing



I know, I know. I haven't been blogging for a long time. It's been too long, but I've been busy with other projects and developments in life.


Last weekend in stead of shooting a wedding I did something a little different. I headed down to our local park with camera in hand and photographed the Relay for Life. It's a wonderful event where cancer survivors and people whose lives are touched by cancer come together to walk all night along a lit path of candle light, raising money for cancer research.
I missed last year, so I didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised when I found the park full of tents, campers and RV's, to the tune of 700 people. There were a record 65 teams of walkers, 160 survivors and a grand total of $165000 was raised.
I was shooting for myself, just covering the event, taking photos that I felt would be different than the local press. Here are a few of my favorite.




Elvis happened to stop by



Doing a Low German version of Blue Suede Shoes, man that was funny!

Many of our local bands played none stop till 1:30 am.



I think the evening could be best summed up by a woman that I overheard as we walked along the thousands of candles that proclaimed people's hurt and triumph. She was helped along by her friends, her scarf and yellow tee shirt showing she was a survivor. "I'm glad I came, for the first time I felt like I belong - that I'm not alone, that I'm part of something so much bigger".

It hit home. See, I'm a survivor too - although both my parents aren't....



To view all the images from Relay for Life please click and follow this link. http://www.pictage.com/666713

Here is the web site for the Steinbach Relay for Life.

4 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Steve Hiebert said...

Great shots Jeremy. It's good to get out and do stuff for yourself as well... and this is most definitely an amazing event!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Rebecca said...

That's woman's quote is incredibly powerful. I didn't know you were a survivor, too, that must have made it even more powerful for you, and thinking of your parents. The photos of the bags are gorgeous and also very sobering. And the lighting you captured in the first photo of the post is gorgeous!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Jeremy Dueck said...

Yeah it was, I'm not that emotional - but I was that night. I think I read just about every bag along the walk, realizing and remembering what I went through. And that others were and are in that same boat.

Back then I felt I was alone, this was an intimate time of realization that I wasn't.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Crystal said...

These are beautiful pictures! Bill D Wiebe is my grandfather and the woman kneeling and lighting one of the candles is my aunt who lost her husband to cancer last year. It is so great to see those special moments captured!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home