Jeremy Dueck Photography Inc.

Jeremy Dueck Photography - review albums, slide shows and proofs from your day

Tuesday

Car Lust!

Came across a couple of great cars in the city this weekend. First we have the Jaguar XK, which has styling of a coupe that is splendid. Why can't North America make a car this lovely? Basically this is a way of getting the Aston Martin DB8 for 30% off.





It appears that Winnipeg has got a GT40, and a great one at that. Another timeless design. What a beautiful car! (BTW, one of my favorite Greek restaurants in the background - Kristina's)



Don't worry Aston Martin fans, I still think the DB8 is nicer than the Jag - in fact it is pretty much the most gorgeous coupe ever, its design is epic.

If any one out there is a car buff like myself, I suggest watching the TV show Top Gear filmed in the UK. It is by far the best automotive journalist show ever conceived. The cars are driven the way they were meant to be, the banter between the hosts is witty and the photography puts most feature length films to shame. In fact it has got to be the best looking car shots I've ever come across. It's worth a look for how they handle light alone.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Whisky Prajer said...

I think the DB8 looks nice coming and going, while Jaguar doesn't leave with quite the same impression (at least, not lately). Say, you're the aesthete: how would you "fix" the Jag's back end?

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Jeremy Dueck said...

I'm gonna have to agree with Whisky, the Jag's overall look is nice, but it starts to lose it in the details. It's best angle is from the side and starts to lose it in the front and rear end. The front is very Jaguar - kinda going back to the E-Type convertible and the tail is almost too Honda. Maybe I should just state that the new Jaguar XK is the prettiest car they have come out with in decades.

The Aston is perfection from every angle. There is nothing that needs to change, nothing that looks less than stellar and to top it all off - it has a wonderful menacing look.

The short answer is to just do the DB8's rear end design. But to start, get rid of the Honda/Ford round lights and chrome strip. The little bumper lip should be reduced as well.

I know I would go with the DB8 (now called the V8 Vantage)every time. But it literally cost twice as much. And if I'm not mistaken, the Jag uses a lot of the DB8's chassis and suspension components - hence getting the DB8 for half price.

But truth be told - it's no Aston. (BTW the DB8 has a wonderful exhaust note that you have never heard like before.)

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Whisky Prajer said...

"The tail is too Honda" - bullseye! Funny, but if we assume we had something approaching the money we'd need to buy such cars, the decision rests between a car that has all the performance for half the price (utility/value) vs. a car that has all that plus head-turning looks (a marriage of aesthetics and utility). I'm thinking the Mennonite in us both can't completely let go of the utility/value side of things, even if this debate is purely hypothetical!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Jeremy Dueck said...

Again I would tend to agree with Whisky, but I'm thinking if I had the cash to buy the Jag, I would still have to hold out for the Aston. It's not my favorite car - but it is simply stunning. So I could drive around in the Jaguar thinking about how much better the DB8 looks and be less than happy with the 'all most there' styling of the Jag. Or....Aston perfection.

I don't have enough money to be vain , so I'm stuck with a van. Oh well - that's why it's called Car Lust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home