Jeremy Dueck Photography Inc.

Jeremy Dueck Photography - review albums, slide shows and proofs from your day

Monday

Back but not Happy

If you have been following our blog you know my wife and I went on our "one" vacation for the year. It was fantastic!

Well we're back!! (actually been home for a couple of weeks.)
The sad thing is we came home to the news that our good friends Trev and Lois lost their baby girl. So it's been a couple of very sad weeks. It was tough to go to the funeral - but we totally appreciated what Paul Wartman had to say. Thanks for keeping it real.

On Trevor's blog he talks about the
NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP foundation. This has been something I've thought about doing for a while. In fact a year ago I was talking to Trevor about this very thing. Of course we both thought NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP would be very difficult to actually do. I totally support Trev in his decision - in fact it spurs me on to get involved as well. Unfortunately my wife and I know 6 couples whose infants were still born or passed away shortly after. It's always tragic.

I believe
NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP is a fantastic way to honor these children and help the healing come to the parents of these little ones.


Kennedy Olivia is such a beautiful girl, we miss her dearly. Heather and I see a lot of Lois in her.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I totally forgot that you and I had that conversation about NILMDTS way back. I'm very sorry that I didn't have the courage to step up and offer my services back then. I believe that the reason more photographers don't step up and offer their service for NILMDTS is due to fear....not only fear that they can't do the images justice, but also fear of not knowing how to deal with such a real tragedy on an emotional level. Child death is something that no one wants to ever think about.

Since Kennedy's passing, I have heard from so many people who have dealt with neonatal loss. To be honest, i never really knew how common neonatal death is - my assumptions were always that "this is 2008....children don't die unexpectedly at birth".

My eyes have been opened. It pains me to know that so many people have dealt with and continue to deal with the kind of grief that Lois and I are going through. Kennedy has changed my life forever.

Not only do photographers need to step up and get involved, but parents who experience this kind of tragedy also need to be made aware of the services offered by NILMDTS and made aware of how important these services are.

Most parents would never think of having professional pictures taken of their child that just passed away. Even I hesitated to photograph my lifeless child. But, I soon realized that my hesitation was due to denial. I was numb to the world, and felt like I was living in a nightmare. Once I realized that this was really happening to us, my photographer instinct kicked in and I realized that we needed to get some pictures while we had the chance.

I am so happy to have a collection of Kennedy photographs (even though the collection is small). While her life was short, it was extremely important and those photographs will be held dear to my heart for the remainder of our lives.

Anyone who knows someone going through a similar situation would be doing those people a huge service by encouraging them to contact NILMDTS and have a professional come out.

The service is free. No strings attached.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Jeremy Dueck said...

I'm amazed at the grace that Lois and you have put forth in this sad time. It doesn't take the pain away - or for that matter make it less.

You have just remained very articulate and transparent during this incredibly hard time. I read your blog and am amazed with how you put your pain out there. How you get across the importance of documenting life. You have stated some wonderful things in your pain, better than I could.

Heather and I are appreciative of you and Lois's transparency and 'realness', it is honest and refreshing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home