Jeremy Dueck Photography Inc.

Jeremy Dueck Photography - review albums, slide shows and proofs from your day

Monday

How do you See?

"The whole word inspires me. Photography is about the play of light on the world, capturing the deep emotions we feel and what matters to an individual. Photographs are as much about the photographer as they are about the image." Robert Cavalli

Well said Robert, well said...

Shooting film in the old days was an art, and I miss it. You know what that film is capable of doing with special processing; and how you see differently through the camera depending upon what film you used.

One of the great things about film is that when you put it in your camera, you stretch yourself to see things in the light of the commitment you made when you picked that specific roll in the first place. You force yourself to see in accordance with your decision.

Unfortunately that seems to have been lost in the digital world. That pre-visualization of what your are going to do with that image is lacking. It's too easy to fix it in Photoshop.

Go out and shoot a roll.



2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Whisky Prajer said...

There seems to be a counter-breeze blowing through the zeitgeist: the March issue of Monocle devoted its cover to "the great digital resistance movement." I spotted the cover just after I'd dropped off a CD of 100+ images for the one-hour shop to print. While "fixing" the images, I commented to my wife that "this digital thing is overrated." The fact of the matter is our family looks forward to the development of the rolls I take in my rusty ... erm, trusty Olympus SLR. Skin tones, as the Monocle article points out, are much better -- but then, the hues of everything are much better.

Another bonus: with everyone jumping on the digital bandwagon, SLR equipment can be had for a song. A friend of mine found a camera bag full of Olympus stuff (including a near-mint OM-2n body and 100-200 zoom lens) at his local Value Village. He bought it for $45, and passed it along to me. I'm having a hoot with it, and have adopted the late Charlton Heston's mantra: "From my cold, dead hands, baby!"

Darrell

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jeremy Dueck said...

So true, I thought you might chime in with this one.

Skin tones are better on film for the most part - and the lab does the fixing - allowing you to go spend time with the family.

A lot of my competition think they love the instant gratification of digital. There is no such thing. I never knew a digital file that looked awesome out of the camera. One is always 'making it better' in Photoshop. We all use PS actions to spice up our photos.

Real instant gratification is when I pull out a sleeve of medium or large format slides (trans) when I get it back from the lab knowing I don't need to do a thing to make them look better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home